Whole Chicken in a crock-pot
1 large chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine the dried spices in a small bowl.
- Loosely chop the onion and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Remove any giblets from the chicken and then rub the spice mixture all over. You can even put some of the spices inside the cavity and under the skin covering the breasts.
- Put prepared chicken on top of the onions in the slow cooker, cover it, and turn it on to high. There is no need to add any liquid.
- Cook for 4 – 5 hours on high (for a 3 or 4 pound chicken) or until the chicken is falling off the bone.
- Bonus: save the bones after you remove the meat from the carcass so you can make homemade chicken broth. Place bones, carrots, celery, garlic cloves in the crockpot, add 2 Tbs. Bragg’s Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, cover with water. Place on high for a few hours until it starts to bubble a little then switch to low. Cook between 24-72 hours (the longer it cooks, the more nutritious it becomes!) Drain and store in glass mason jars. If freezing don’t fill jar to the top. If you’re not ready to make broth right away, put the bones in a Ziploc bag in your freezer for later use.
From The Sunset Cookbook
3 ½ pounds bone in pork shoulder/butt (pork stew cubes)
1 medium onion finely chopped
3 cups broth (chicken or beef)
2 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt to taste
1. Chop onion and spread along bottom of crock pot
2. Season pork with salt and pepper and place on top of onions in crockpot
3. Add spices to crock pot, spreading around
4. Add broth to crockpot
5. Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours
6. When done, shred pork with fork
7. Serve over roasted red potatoes and top with a tomatillo salsa
Moroccan Red Lentil Soup
2 T. olive oil
2 large onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
7 cups vegetable broth (Imagine Brand is best)
1 can (20 oz.) crushed tomatoes
2 cups red lentils, washed and rinsed
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons fresh parsley (Italian/flat leaf)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in large pan, add onions and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Next add the garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper and cook for another minute.
- Add the broth and tomatoes and heat to boiling.
- Pour into slow cooker/crock-pot, add lentils and stir
- Cook for 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
- Before serving, stir in the pepper flakes, lemon juice, parsley, and cilantro
- Optional: when cooking onions, add 1 pound chicken or lamb cut into ½ inch pieces and brown the meat.
Certified Nutrition Consultant
& Transformational Coach